Wednesday 14 November 2007

The Big Switch On

Returned to YCIS this morning for my big switch on! We got to the hospital early and found ourselves waiting and waiting as there was someone in before me and caused a delay. Anyway, had the magnet replaced as the magnet was thin and my hair was thick! Heard the bleeps and then it was switched on... oh everything went robotic sound and echo/squeaky! I heard my husband and the audiologist voice but they were the same!

After a few more tuning - it may need to be increased on Friday as I have been told that it takes a while for my brain to adjust the hearing of the new sounds... I can hear the keys being punched on my keyboard!!

Later, as I was putting some boxes into my handbag and heard the crackling sound in it - the mars bars!! ooh that really was weird!

After a while, we went onto the speech therapist who has given me some homework on new sounds - I'm learning the "s" at the moment as this is one of the high frequency sounds, it was not too bad. I am also trying to learn any words that are said behind my back (meaning without looking at the face/lipreading etc).

Well, when we emerged out of the hospital this afternoon, I discovered some sounds - people in their high heels were clipping away on the pavements!! My silly husband rustling his feet through the leaves - really annoying me!

It has been a weird day but I'm glad it's been done and over with and have to face more appointments in the next couple of weeks - I am going again this Friday and next Wednesday.

Will be back on Friday.

No comments: