Sunday 21 October 2007

The Big Day!

I was admitted to Ward 18 at Bradford Royal Infirmary on Wednesday 17th October at 7pm and all was well. Didn't really sleep properly that night - should have taken some eye masks! Anyway, nurses woke me up at 6am for blood pressure and take any medication. Mr Strachan (my consultant) came to see me at 8am for a quick chat with the SHO and explained the routine. The anaesthetist came and explained a few words and then I was told to go down to the theatre. So off I went at 8.45am (walked to the theatre with one of the nurses) and was hooked up with wires as I lay down and I dozed off!

Possibly around 12.15pm I woke up in the recovery room and could lipread the nurses saying "Are you in pain?" Well, for a start off course I was! Was topped up with painkillers but that made it worse as I was nausea!

Come round 2.15pm.... I just flickered my eyes opened and thought what time is it? Oh I'm still in the recovery room and asked the nurse - how long had I been here? Her reply was 3 HOURS! I asked what was the problem.............. the blood pressure was sky high!

Mr Strachan came to see me in the recovery room and said the implant operation was a success and would see me in the morning.

Anyway, after a lot of doses of drugs to keep the blood pressure down, I was finally transferred to the ward around 3.15pm and found my husband, Howard waiting! He just laughed at my new hairstyle!

I was sleeping on and off so Howard left at 4.30pm to sort the boys out!

I was still feeling nausea that evening and tried to eat some toast but it didn't work! So I just slept and the nurses kept checking me up. As I was trying to doze off and was hooked up with antibiotics at 1am!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel, my name is Nina. I live in California, U.S.A. I was surfing the Internet hoping to find someone's blog who has had the implant for a few months. I really wanted to see what they had to say about their hearing. I jus received my implant one month before you, September 20, 2007. I was turned on October 15, so right before your surgery. Hearing has been very good for me. However, I was not born deaf. I've been slowly losing my hear for 5 years and suddenly lost most of it 6 months ago. I wish you the best when your big day comes and you are turned on.